Thursday, August 7, 2008

may the best woman win!

I love the olympics! I look forward to them every two years. I don't even care which country wins, you know that these are true athletes competing at something they love. one of the few times the entire world comes together in celebration. Gotta love it. I am especially looking forward to this year because my friend from Tasmania, Donna Macfarlane, is competing in the 3000 meter Steeplechase track and field event. This is the first year women are competing in this event and it is kind of interesting to watch with fixed hurdles and large puddles of water to jump through. you can see a recent race Donna won in Qatar on her website http://www.donnamacfarlane.com/ . So if you happen to be watching and see her race- give a little cheer for her.


I have gotten into a habit of getting into my bed at night, reading books and letting the kids fall asleep there, moving them into their own beds when I go to bed. the upside- I get to crawl into a nice warm bed, the downside- it usually takes a good hour for the kids to settle down and fall asleep. here is one of the nights they actually fell asleep quickly.

I love the birds out here. there are colorful parots and cockatoos everywhere. here are some cockatoos we saw in parking lot.
Chesney had to write a report in school on the possum. she wrote it by herself while at school and received a certificate of merit from her teacher for her fine report writing and a principals award for her good work. She was very proud of herself. Oh, and her hair- she wanted to do something different for school, so this is what she wanted me to do that day.
I have been told that it NEVER snows in Sydney- but a couple of weeks ago it got really cold and this started to fall from the sky. I wouldn't call it snow but rather big balls of slush fell.

love you- Kelly

5 comments:

Deb, Gregg 'n Scooby said...

Hi Kelly....so how much lipstick do you put on the kids while they're sleeping before you take their picture? Can they really be that healthy looking?!?!?
Thanks for the post and the pictures.
I had heard that it snowed in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and thought of y'all...nothing like a good July snowstorm! glad it wasn't too bad for ya.
Hope all is well.
Love and miss you
Auntie Deb

Deb, Gregg 'n Scooby said...

PS...I love Chesney's hair...too bad mine is too short to style it like that! Is she a trend setter or what?!?!
I'll watch your friends youtube video tonight or tomorrow.
Love ya all
Auntie Deb

The Jahnkes said...

actually they just have really chapped lips. all taken care of now

Martha said...

I looked up Donna Mcfarlane's blog..Really interesting! Thanks for all the pictures of the kids!! Chesney can really write already and I am sure she can read too!! It goes hand in hand!! Love you, Mom

Lindsay said...

Hey Kelly!

I must admit, I miss the snow! I can't wait for winter (my favorite time of the year)! I still can't believe that it is only 4 months away until Christmas, and seeing the snow just puts it in more perspective.

I love the Olympics too. I've been watching it them every night when I get back home from work. I usually stay up until 11:30p.m.-midnight. It is very hard to get up the next morning!! Go Michael Phelps!!